Friday, February 29, 2008

David Brooks Shows Us That He's Been A Bad Writer For A Long Time

Here is the beginning of Remembering the Mentor by David Brooks:

When I was in college, William F. Buckley Jr. wrote a book called “Overdrive” in which he described his glamorous lifestyle. Since I was young and a smart-aleck, I wrote a parody of it for the school paper.

“Buckley spent most of his infancy working on his memoirs,” I wrote in my faux-biography. “By the time he had learned to talk, he had finished three volumes: ‘The World Before Buckley,’ which traced the history of the world prior to his conception; ‘The Seeds of Utopia,’ which outlined his effect on world events during the nine months of his gestation; and ‘The Glorious Dawn,’ which described the profound ramifications of his birth on the social order.”

The piece went on in this way. I noted that his ability to turn water into wine added to his popularity at prep school. I described his college memoirs: “God and Me at Yale,” “God and Me at Home” and “God and Me at the Movies.” I recounted that after college he had founded two magazines, one called The National Buckley and the other called The Buckley Review, which merged to form The Buckley Buckley.

I wrote that his hobbies included extended bouts of name-dropping and going into rooms to make everyone else feel inferior.

Buckley came to the University of Chicago, delivered a lecture and said: “David Brooks, if you’re in the audience, I’d like to offer you a job.”
So before Mr. Brooks was a lackey for the Bush administration, he was a lackey for William F. Buckley Jr. and he seems to be proud of the fact that he was. In one fell swoop Mr. Brooks exposes his consistency. He’s always been a bad writer and he’s always been a subordinate, a toady, and a sycophant.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment