Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"New Ground" - Stargate SG-1

I watched Stargate SG-1 last night. I saw the episode titled "New Ground". I enjoyed it very much, although the character named Rigar gave me the creeps. He is too close to reality. He is very similar to all of the GOP presidential candidates, as well as many past and present GOP bigwigs.

Here is a sample of some of the dialogue of "New Ground". (Thanks to stargate.wikia.com):

Parcy: What if they are telling the truth? What if it is the gateway and the Optricans are right?
Rigar: No, it's a lie.
Parcy: How can you be sure?
Rigar: I am sure because we have not spent our lives praying to a god who does not exist and many of our people have not lost their lives fighting a meaningless war. I won't accept that. I have studied the book of Nefertum word for word, cover to cover. It is the truth.
Here is a synopses from Gateworld:
An underlying theme of this episode is the ideological war between religion and science. Nyan is a true scientist, who has no unfounded allegiance to abstract belief, but is eager to change what he believes when presented with new evidence. The Bedrosians are dedicated to their faith, and are presented as arrogant and stubborn -- unwilling to consider that their beliefs might be wrong, even when presented with hard evidence. This dichotomy is manifested in the characters of Nyan and Rigar.
Here is my favorite bit of dialogue from this episode:
TEAL’C: You wish to use me to further your scientific aspirations, do you not?
NYAN: You are proof that my theories have been all wrong…
TEAL’C: Then perhaps you would be better off if I were no longer alive.
NYAN: TEAL’C, I’m a scientist. When I find evidence that my theories are wrong, it is as exciting as if they were correct. Scientific advance in either direction is still an advance.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment