Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let's Leave God (And Rick Warren) Out Of It

Why do we even have an invocation at inaugurations? Obama could prove he is the man who believes in “change” by getting religious ceremonies out of politics. It seems that all of the reporting on this focuses on Warren not liking gays. He also doesn’t like atheists. I didn’t vote for Obama so that he would bend over backwards for the religious right. The religious right has had too many “voices” in politics recently. It doesn’t need another. Rick Warren already has a very powerful forum in which to voice his opinion. Why is Obama giving him another one? If the religious right is going to have a voice in politics, then America won’t ever come together without gays and atheists having a voice in politics as well.

I wonder why Obama didn’t pick Jeremiah Wright?

From Obama defends choice of pastor for invocation:

President-elect Barack Obama on Thursday defended his choice of a popular evangelical minister to deliver the invocation at his inauguration, rejecting criticism that it slights gays. The selection of Pastor Rick Warren brought objections from gay rights advocates, who strongly supported Obama during the election campaign. The advocates are angry over Warren's backing of a California ballot initiative banning gay marriage. That measure was approved by voters last month.

But Obama told reporters in Chicago that America needs to "come together," even when there's disagreement on social issues. "That dialogue is part of what my campaign is all about," he said.

Obama also said he's known to be a "fierce advocate for equality" for gays and lesbians, and will remain so.
Read the rest here.

From Warren Says Candidates Have to Believe in God:
KING: Rick Warren is our guest. Rick, let me ask you a couple of Rick Warren questions. OK?

WARREN: OK.

KING: Does a person have to believe in god to be president?

WARREN: I would say so. I couldn't vote for a person who was an atheist, because I would think -- I think the presidency is a job too big for one person. I would think there's a little arrogance that says, I don't need anybody else. I could vote for someone of different religions than mine, but I don't know that I could personally vote for somebody who denies that we need somebody greater than ourselves to help us.
Let's take a moment to reflect and remember how much God has helped out George W. Bush.

I agree with PZ Myers:
Obama had a chance to set a non-sectarian, progressive tone at this event, and he has chosen to kow-tow to the wretched evangelical movement.

2 comments - Post a comment :

CR Thompson said...

The thing that pisses me off the most about Obama's "come together" attitude is that Rick Warren doesn't just have a different opinion on abortion or non-violent drug offenders than I do, he thinks I, as a gay atheist, am a walking sin. If he had the choice, he would legislate against me as a person. It's not just that he and I disagree over welfare, we disagree over whether or not I as a person am equal. Can't anybody see that the debate over the rights of atheist and gay Americans are different, fundamentally, than a debate over non-violent drug use?

Argh. This pisses me off to no end.

Anonymous said...

Jessie:

I agree with you 100%. Thank you for adding your perspective to this.

Ah yes, the "walking sin." It is interesting that they fear us so much, that we are a threat to them.

Again, thank you for your comment.

Post a Comment