Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Berkeley, Yoo, And Testicle Crushing

Earlier today I wrote a rather lengthy piece on John Yoo and whether he deserves to be fired from his teaching position at Berkeley. Then I went for a walk. On my walk I got to thinking about this all over again. The one think that got stuck in my mind that I wished I had included in my earlier piece is this: Somebody else who is better qualified for the job doesn’t have it because Yoo does.

How many college law students do we want Yoo trying to impress his values upon? Here is a refresher course on John Yoo’s values:

Yoo even went so far as to claim, in a debate, that the U.S. president has legal discretion about whether he can crush the testicles of a suspect's child. In a Dec. 1, 2005 debate in Chicago with Notre Dame Law School Professor Doug Cassel, the following exchange occurred:

Cassel: "If the president deems that he's got to torture somebody, including by crushing the testicles of the person's child, there is no law that can stop him?"

Yoo: "No treaty."

Cassel: "Also no law by Congress. That is what you wrote in the August 2002 memo."

Yoo: "I think it depends on why the president thinks he needs to do that."
What kind of lawyers will Berkley produce because of John Yoo? There has to be someone better for this position at Berkeley.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment