Friday, April 25, 2008

The Craziest Thing About Jeremiah Wright

Many Americans seem to think that Jeremiah Wright is crazy, or at least a little nuts. Many Americans seem to be upset because Jeremiah Wright said “God damn America.” I do think that Wright is crazy, but not for the reasons that most Americans do. Most of the things that I have heard Wright say have some basis in reason. Even what he has said about AIDS is based on logic. Flawed logic, yes, but still logic. I can see how he went from Tuskegee syphilis experimentation on blacks to thinking that the AIDS epidemic was started as an experiment on blacks.

So, why do I think Jeremiah Wright is crazy? Because he believes in God. There is no logical reason to, no proof that God exists. He believes for the same reason so many others do, just because. That’s all. Just because. “God damn America” doesn’t bother me at all. Partly because I agree with him. America really sucks right now. Thank you very much Georgie the Dubya. Partly because I don’t believe in God. No God. No hell. They don’t exist. There is not much to upset me in “God damning” anything. It’s basically a meaningless phrase. Millions of Americans are upset with Jeremiah Wright for all the wrong reasons. They should be upset that God and religion are being dragged into our political election process where they don’t belong. They should be upset that all three presidential candidates are guilty of doing this, especially since Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and John McCain should all know better. After all, they are all members of Congress and should at least know a little bit of what the Constitution says.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech…”

“…but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

I’m still waiting for an atheist presidential candidate who has at least read the Constitution. That’s someone I would happily vote for. I wouldn’t care at all what her reverend had said.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment