Sunday, May 25, 2008

Remember The Living With The New GI Bill of Rights

From Let us truly honor our fallen heroes this Memorial Day by Dorian De Wind:

As a Vietnam War era veteran, I received all my higher education, including a master’s degree, using the G.I. Bill and other military educational programs and assistance. I am thus very disappointed that the “support the troops” Bush administration, gung-ho Senator McCain, and the support Bush-McCain senator from Texas oppose a more robust version of a renewed G.I. Bill of Rights, ostensibly because it costs too much and for other nefarious reasons.

This is a bill that will give our Iraq and Afghanistan wars veterans–who have sacrificed so much more than I did–at least the same educational opportunities that were given my and past generations of veterans by a president who then truly supported the troops.

When President Bush, on Memorial Day, lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery, I hope that he also remembers those who are still living, sweating, and dodging bullets, and sometimes being hit in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan.

I believe that we could offer no greater honor and respect to those who we are remembering this Memorial Day weekend than by promising to take better care of their brethren who are still living, and fighting.
Read more here.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment