Tuesday, May 20, 2008

An Honorable Man

From IVAW member Matthis Chiroux announces his refusal to deploy to Iraq:

Sgt. Matthis Chiroux, who served in the Army until being honorably discharged last summer after over four years of service in Afghanistan, Japan, Europe and the Phillipines, today publicly announced his intention to refuse orders to deploy to Iraq.
Here is a part of his statement to the press:
This occupation is unconstitutional and illegal and I hereby lawfully refuse to participate as I will surely be a party to war crimes. Furthermore, deployment in support of illegal war violates all of my core values as a human being, but in keeping with those values, I choose to remain in the United States to defend myself from charges brought by the Army if they so wish to pursue them. I refuse to participate in the occupation of Iraq.
My thanks to Christiaan Briggs. Mr. Briggs also reminds of this from the Nuremberg Trial Proceedings:
To initiate a war of aggression … is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment