Monday, June 23, 2008

Pete Seeger Is Still At It

Pete Seeger claims he is not a pacifist. I did not know that he had served during World War II.

From At a Roadside Vigil, an Iconic Voice of Protest by Dennis Gaffney:

Asked whether he thought that protesting by the side of the road would help end the war, he said: “I don’t think that big things are as effective as people think they are. The last time there was an antiwar demonstration in New York City I said, ‘Why not have a hundred little ones?’ ”

He said that working for peace was like adding sand to a basket on one side of a large scale, trying to tip it one way despite enormous weight on the opposite side.

“Some of us try to add more sand by teaspoons,” he explained. “It’s leaking out as fast as it goes in and they’re all laughing at us. But we’re still getting people with teaspoons. I get letters from people saying, ‘I’m still on the teaspoon brigade.’ ”

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment