Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Republic Of Heaven

From Editorial by Brian P. Hudson:

It’s this final idea that prompts me to bring The Golden Compass into this otherwise unassuming Nexus editorial. Because, as a writer, I’ve got this sudden bug to imagine what a “republic of heaven” might look like in our own world. By which I mean, a world where religion has faded and fallen--maybe not gone but certainly in the minority--and realism, skepticism, and humanism have taken over. And suddenly, I’ve got a yearning to write about just such a thing.

Now, I’m not naïve enough to think that the world would be a utopia, nor that religion would simply vanish. I just wonder, what would such a world be like? How would our day-to-day existence change? How would governments function differently? Where would our politics fall? What would be the causes of our strife? Would there be war? Would there be peace? What would we do with all the churches? What would we do with each other?
Read the rest here.

0 comments - Post a comment :

Post a Comment